Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Depeche Mode - Strangelove - 1988

I have an interesting history with Depeche Mode. The first time I heard them was at a party circa 84 or 85. I remember some girl having a tape and telling the host of the party that he needed to play the tape. The band was great. I didn't catch the name, but I remembered the track. It was People Are People. I remember loving it, but I was too shy to ask this older pretty girl who the band was. She was in high school and I wasn't. Anyway, my close friends and I were into heavy metal so I really didn't have anyone to talk to about the song, but I remembered it.

A couple years after that when I was in High School Depeche Mode got huge in the US. Somehow by that point I had connected the dots that People Are People was done by them, but my impression of the band was that they were just some good looking girlie band. So I wasn't into them at all. I just wrote them off as pop fluff.

Skip ahead to the later half of the decade I had a girlfriend (future wife) who loved Depeche Mode. So of course I got to hear more of them. What I discovered was that they were nothing like I thought they were. They had a dark side, I mean a really dark and twisted side. The album Black celebration was a revelation.

This single (again from my friend) is a good example of that dark twisted side of Depeche Mode. The record has couple good mixes and some b-side mixes of "Nothing". I have double checked, but I'm sure all these mixes have been made available on CD. A few years ago the band released a series of CD's releasing just about every mix or remix of anything they ever released. So if you want cleaner versions of these you can find them on CD.

Enjoy!

01 Strangelove (Highjack Remix).m4a
02 Strangelove (Remix Edit).m4a
03 Nothing (Zip-Hop Mix).m4a
04 Nothing (Dub).m4a



No comments: