Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Palo Verde High School - Show Stoppers - 1972

What? No Christmas album? Before I get into this record I want to apologize in advance, that I did not get around to digitizing any new Christmas albums for this year's holiday season. I have indeed purchased new Christmas vinyl, but I just haven't been able to digitize them yet. So there will probably be some re-posting and such, but nothing new.

Now to the record.

Before Glee was releasing albums entitled "Show Stoppers" Palo Verde High School in Tucson, Arizona was doing it. In fact this record was recorded way back in 1972 when I was but a babe.

The interesting thing about this record is that it has a very personal meaning to me. In fact probably my earliest memory was going to this performance. I attended this night when I was not even 2 years old and I can still remember where we sat in the auditorium. I was talking with my mother about this over Thanksgiving and she told me she was worried about taking me to this, because she was afraid I'd cry or get restless, but she said once the show started I was totally enthralled and never made a peep.

So why was I at this performance? Well, my older brother Tim was playing Sancho. Other than remembering where we sat, I remember the feeling I had when he sang. I was so impressed and proud. Today when I listen to this record I get chills because his voice is so good. It is funny when you listen to his voice against the other high school students. His voice is just so much more mature and trained.

You'll also notice in the liner notes that the choir president was Tim Milsaps. That is actually Tim Filichia, my brother. To this day he is still involved with show choir. He is the producer and director of a group name Light Entertainment Company. You can check out their web page here.

So record #1 has selections from "Fiddler On The Roof" and record #2 has selections from "Man Of La Mancha". Being biased I recommend checking out record #2 first and just right to "Man Of La Mancha" and "I Really Like Him".

Enjoy!

No comments: