Friday, December 13, 2013

The Three Suns - The Sound Of Christmas - 1955


I first became acquainted with The Three Suns back in the 90's when the whole lounge music thing saw a resurgence.  I bought a bunch of different lounge music compilations and then over the years I have picked up many of those artists on vinyl.  The Three suns have a bit of a cheese factor that is the product of the 50's.  They have applied a layer of that same cheesey goodness to some Christmas standards.  What I love about their approach is that even though this are songs you have heard a thousand times before, they put in plenty of surprises in their arrangements.  The music is playful and keeps you guessing.  I think their versions of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" are a good example of this.  This is a record I just picked up this year and it has already worked its way into some regular rotation.  I won't be surprised if one or two of these tracks end up on a Christmas mix in the future.


Enjoy!

The Sound Of Christmas

Password - sapmusic2013

6 comments:

alix said...

Aw yeah! I'm excited to hear this one!

alix said...

I'm totally excited to listen to this one...thanks Spencer!

hey have you heard the Soulful Strings Christmas album? I think you'd dig it. Very unusual arrangements of the classics (a few of the songs even have sitar).

Spencer said...

No, I haven't heard that one, but it sounds amazing. Christmas songs with sitar sound right up my alley. I'll keep my eyes out for that one.

alix said...

Shoot I keep getting error messages when I try to unzip any of the downloads (it says unable to open, Operation not Permitted). When I'm on MediaFire, it doesn't ask me for a password.....hmmm.

Spencer said...

Are you trying to unzip them with a Mac? If you are trying to unzip with the Mac OS unzip software, you will have problems because it doesn't support passwords. Try Stuffit expander, which is free.

http://www.stuffit.com/mac-expander-v2.html?utm_expid=63775807-12.LCa1CZ2lR1yi5WStGbW2BA.1&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stuffit.com%2Fmac-expander-v2.html

If it isn't the Mac issue, then I am not sure what the problem may be. The password is for the .zip files and not for mediafire.

alix said...

oh i bet its the mac thing....thanks for the stuffit help!!