Friday, December 13, 2013

The Three Suns - The Sound Of Christmas - 1955

I first became acquainted with The Three Suns back in the 90's when the whole lounge music thing saw a resurgence.  I bought a bunch of different lounge music compilations and then over the years I have picked up many of those artists on vinyl.  The Three suns have a bit of a cheese factor that is the product of the 50's.  They have applied a layer of that same cheesey goodness to some Christmas standards.  What I love about their approach is that even though this are songs you have heard a thousand times before, they put in plenty of surprises in their arrangements.  The music is playful and keeps you guessing.  I think their versions of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" are a good example of this.  This is a record I just picked up this year and it has already worked its way into some regular rotation.  I won't be surprised if one or two of these tracks end up on a Christmas mix in the future.


The Sound Of Christmas

Password - sapmusic2013


alix said...

Aw yeah! I'm excited to hear this one!

alix said...

I'm totally excited to listen to this one...thanks Spencer!

hey have you heard the Soulful Strings Christmas album? I think you'd dig it. Very unusual arrangements of the classics (a few of the songs even have sitar).

Spencer said...

No, I haven't heard that one, but it sounds amazing. Christmas songs with sitar sound right up my alley. I'll keep my eyes out for that one.

alix said...

Shoot I keep getting error messages when I try to unzip any of the downloads (it says unable to open, Operation not Permitted). When I'm on MediaFire, it doesn't ask me for a password.....hmmm.

Spencer said...

Are you trying to unzip them with a Mac? If you are trying to unzip with the Mac OS unzip software, you will have problems because it doesn't support passwords. Try Stuffit expander, which is free.

If it isn't the Mac issue, then I am not sure what the problem may be. The password is for the .zip files and not for mediafire.

alix said...

oh i bet its the mac thing....thanks for the stuffit help!!