Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Bo-Keys/The Royal Pendaltons Split 7"



Norton records is one of those record labels where you can buy records based completely on the reputation of the label. I've picked up many records from bands that I hadn't previously heard based solely on the fact that the record was a Norton record. They know what they are doing over there. That is for sure.

I should note that I first heard The Black Lips and King Khan and BBQ by picking up their contributions to this Norton Rolling Stones series.

Over the past few years they've been releasing 7" singles as part of a series of Rolling Stones covers. I'm not sure if they've collected these onto a CD or an LP, but I think they may have. I, however, have tried picking them all up on record. If you're ever in a record shop and you see one or some of these records, go ahead and make the purchase. Some are better than others, but really there isn't a bad record in the whole series. I think I've to this record lined up to share, because it was one of the last ones in the series that I bought this past year.

The Bo-Keys turn in a great version of Congratulations. Easily as good if not maybe a little better than the original. Before hearing this song I really wasn't familiar with the original. After hearing this I had to check out the original. That is one of the great things about this series. A lot of the sons chosen to cover are a little more obscure, so I've been turned onto some of those early Stones Songs that don't get much radio play. The Royal Pendaltons do a cover of Tell Me, which is okay. Not bad, but not great.
Enjoy!

01 Congratulations.m4a
02 Tell Me.m4a

No comments: