Friday, October 24, 2008

M.D.C. - Chickensquawk 7" - 1984



So while I'm backing everything up and getting my act together I thought I'd give you a little something to gnaw on for the next few days. I mean I don't want to stop things completely. I am however going to institute a little change and see how it goes. I'm going to limit how long I keep links to my music active. I'm sure this will piss a lot of people off and some people may decide not to return. Maybe though it will encourage traffic and readers who check in regularly and are keeping up with the current posts. That will hopefully get rid of these people who are searching through the archives looking for something to complain about. With that said if there is something in the archive that you really want to hear, let me know and I think we should be able to work something out. It isn't like I have a ton of regular readers. I'm assuming that it will be you faithful readers who make the requests and that the casual reader and leecher will just give up and move on without asking. I'd love to know what people think about this new tactic. This whole experiment is an evolution and I'm hoping to find a balance that keeps the regulars happy as well as gets rid of or makes the complainers happy. Now to the music.

Here's a fun old 7" from MDC. The jacket actually folds out into this huge vegetarian propaganda poster. Lots of disturbing images of starving people even worse than the cover. I haven't figured out a good way to scan or photograph it, so I just scanned the front and back.

MDC had their roots in Texas, but really made a name for themselves once they relocated to San Fran. The title track here, however, shows off some of their Texan roots with a little country hardcore. Back in the day there were a handful of others also toying with this cowpunk genre. This one was always one of my favorites.

I've never been a vegetarian and never really even entertained the thought, but I do find this song quite catchy and a the lyrics make a good case if not humorous case for the lifestyle. The other two tracks are more standard MDC. Fast, loud and hard core.

MDC is together is some form these days. Dave Dictor is putting on great shows and I recommend catching them if you have a chance. My son saw them this last year and raved about the show. He exchanged a few words with Dictor and said he was very cool to him.

If you dig on these tracks seek out their Millions of Dead Cops CD. It's an absolute classic of the genre.

Enjoy!


01 Chickensquawk.m4a
02 Death Of A Nun.m4a
03 Kleptomaniac.m4a

No comments: