Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween everyone!

You would think that I would have some big Halloween theme post ready, but I don't. I blew that at the beginning of the month. I figure sharing Halloween music the day of Halloween is too late. And speaking of Halloween music today's your final day to check out the Halloween music I posted earlier this month. It will be gone after today.

With that out of the way, let's get to this morning's random playlist.

Hell - Squirrel Nut Zippers
Hey Paula - Paul and Paula from the Animal House Soundtrack
Rockin' The Paradise - Styx
Great DJ - Ting Tings
I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor
Something About You - Boston
Traktor - Traste & Superstararna - Pengar/Traktor 7"
More Than A Woman - The Tavares - Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack

So the day started of with Hell, I find that oddly coincidental given that it is Halloween. hey sometimes the stars just align.

Then a pleasant little number from the Animal House soundtrack. That soundtrack is simply great. It has a couple Sam Cooke classics. Sam is my favourite soul singer hands down. Let's not forget Otis Day and The Nights couple of classics. I originally got this record (actually it was a tape) back when I was in elementary school and I wore that puppy out playing Shout and Shama Lama Ding Dong It isn't very long but it can be listened to over and over again.

The Styx track is obviously from Paradise Theater. A great concept record that I still throw on the old turn table and listen to from start to finish. That is really how it should be experienced, though there are plenty of singles to enjoy on their own.

Great DJ is one of my favourite songs of this year. If you haven't heard the Ting Tings yet please check them out. Great fun. You probably know their music from some ipod commercial this year.

"I Will Survive" is probably in the top 5 for all time great Disco tracks. You can't help but sing along with the defiant lyrics. About 11 or 12 years ago when there was a big disco resurgence i listened to that song endlessly. I think I had it on a mix tape that got a lot of play at that time.

Boston. I'm glad this song came up. Yesterday "More Than A Feeling" came up on my walk home and I was thinking I wish this was tomorrow morning because I'd love to comment on this record. As luck would have it this came up and gave me the excuse. This first Boston record is quite astonishing. I mean that in that it has so many classic songs on one record. The batting average on that record is 1000. There are 8 tracks and all of them are great. The production is legendary. At least 6 of the 8 songs are classic rock radio staples. It is hard to think of too many other records that can boast that. I don't think I have to say check it out, because I'm assuming everyone has heard this record and may even own a copy. It is kind of an essential record.

"Traktor". I got this song off of a blog. It isn't in English and I don't know much about the band. The song, though is very catchy. It is kind of a KBD punk/punk rock vibe from the late 70's or early 80's. I don't remember exactly. If you search some of those punk rock blogs that post rare and out of print music you'll find it. I can't remember which one I found it on.

And then as I walked into my office I was hit with another disco classic from the Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack. I played this album to death in high school. One thing I wanted to point out is that there were different versions of this record and I don't think I've ever seen it written about or commented on. I'd love to know the story behind this oddity. I have this album on tape from when I was a kid and then later I picked up on a CD and of course I have the record as well. Off the top of my head I can't remember which has which, but there are two versions of Jive Talkin' on the different formats. I'm pretty sure the tape had the studio version, but then either the CD or the record has a live version. I'm sure it had something to do with licensing and when the album or format was released. I don't know the reason, but I find it interesting. If you know the story, I'd love to hear it.

One other story about this record is that when I was in high school I drove my dad's car a 1978 Lincoln Continental. A boat. it had an 8 track player and so I would pick up 8-tracks at thrift stores and garage sales for like 25 cents to play in the car. We had a few staples as I cruised around with my skateboard buddies. One of them was a Saturday Night Fever knock off record. It wasn't the original, it was some cheap cover version my some unknown studio musicians. It was complete cheese and I used to love playing it.

So that is it for today. I gotta start work.

Cheers!

No comments: