Wednesday, November 5, 2008

10.05.08 - Sunny Fall Morning Playlist

Great morning. So good, that I thought I'd still write about it even though it is the end of the day. The weather was cool and felt like fall. The ipod was kind as well. Here's what my friend the ipod gave me.

Come Baby Come - K7
Iron Maiden - Big D And The Kids Table
Smash It Up (Parts 1 & 2) - The Damned
La Valse de L'amour - Edith Piaf
Samba Triste - Charlie Byrd & Stan Getz
Summer Love - Justin Timberlake
Roadworn and Weary (live) - Supersuckers from "Must Have Been Live".
Saturday Night Is The Loneliest Night Of the Week - Frank Sinatra from "Young at Heart"
You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling - The Righteous Brothers
Angel - Sarah McLachlan
Crack - Big Black

That's a pretty good selection, huh? So what shall I highlight from that list? Well I'd like to throw a plug to Big D and The Kids Table. Saw them open play about a year an a half ago at a night before warped tour gig. It was them and some other band, Gallows and the secret headliner was Bad Religion. Big D were fun and great. I bought their album "Strickly Rude" that night and I love it. This track is actually from an Iron Maiden ska tribute album. Anyways, check 'em out if you have a chance.

The Damned are kind of new to me. Not in the sense that I never heard of them before, but in the sense that it wasn't until recently that I actually heard them. I of course new of them since I was a kid, but I never really got into that era or punk and was more of a hard core kid. The funny thing is that in my mind I alway thought of them being darker and harder, but it turns out after comparing them to hard core, they are quite tame. This track in particular is just a light pop song with new wavish keyboards. Not at all what I expected from them, given the image in my head. With that said I love this song. The Offspring did a cover of this on their first 7" which is great. Give that a listen if you can find it. I found it on one of the many punk blogs out there, but I can't remember where.

The Edith Piaf song is great. I know a bit of French and the lyrics are really sweet. A couple lines I like are:
C'est la romance
Que Chacun danse
En attendant l'amour
Il y a tourjours un cœur
Qui cherche un autre cœur
Alors commence
une romance

The Charlie Byrd & Stan Getz track comes from "Jazz Samba" a classic jazz record. One of the first jazz records/cd's I ever owned. It is a must to your library. It is nice soothing mellow jazz. I like to say it is like butter.

Skipping down past JT, there is the Supersuckers. I've said much about them on this blog. They are the greatest rock and roll band working today. They have a new record coming out this month. Pre-order it now and then see them when they come to your town. They put on a great show. This track is from one of their live records, "Must Have Been Live". This version of "Roadworn and Weary" is the more country version. They do a rock version as well. If they ever play near you and you see that they are going to do their "country' show, do not miss it. They don't do it often, but it is a fun night. A couple years ago I saw them one night do the rock show and then the next night do the country show. Two different sets and two awesome nights. Nuff said.

The last thing I think I'll comment on is the Righteous Brothers track. I haven't heard this song in years. I don't exactly go searching for it on the ipod, but it is on there because it is a classic. The production is epic like unto Bridge Over Troubled Water" and the bit at the end when they go into the "bring it on backs" and the "baby, baby" part it is just great. I'm sure a lot of people can't listen to this song after "Top Gun", I think I was kind of that way, but give it a chance again. It has been 20 years.

Okay, I know I said that was the last thing, but just to wind things up I have to say "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan is sublime and one of her most beautiful songs. And Big Black is awesome. There now I'm done.

Cheers!

No comments: