Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Here Comes The Sun - Playlist 11.18.08

Another long play list from this morning with so many good songs to blog about. I'm putting the album info on the list as well so you can track down the tracks yourself.

Jordan's 1st Choice - Against Me! - Reinventing Axl Rose
Here Comes the Sun - Voodoo Glow Skulls - Who Is This Is
Wilkommen - Al Hirt - Music To Watch Girls By
Deceptacon (The DFA Remix) - Le Tigre - Remix
Am I Going Insane - Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Souls For Rock 'N' Roll
Free Time - The Aggrolites - Reggae Hit L.A.
Sister Morphine - The Rolling Stones - Unplugged
Pint After Pint - Charlie Overbey - The Charlie Overbey Compilation: Just The Hits Folks, Just The Hits
Wasp/N.I.B. - Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Midnight Rambler - The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
Faith - George Michael - Twentyfive: For Living
Rhythm Nation - Janet Jackson - Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814
Lap Of Luxory - Oingo Boingo - All The Pieces 7"
Young And Lovestruck - Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly - Searching For The Hows And Whys
Angel - Jack Johnson - Sleep Through Static
Desafinado - Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto Featuring Carlos Jobim - Getz/Gilberto
Misery Town - Cheater - Home Is Where the Heart Is
Burnin' Up - Jonas Brothers - A Little Bit Longer
Glory Box - Portsihead - Dummy
Everything You Ever - Neil Patrick Harris - Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd
Sidekick - Rancid - Let's Go!
Be Good To Yourself - Journey - Revelation
Blowin' In The Wind - Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Killer Queen - Queen - Sheer Heart Attack
Wait For Me - Jamie Lidell - Jim
I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor - The Adventures Of Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert
Volare - Wayne Newton - Danke Schoen
Lust - The Raveonettes - Lust Lust Lust
We Don't Get Along - Phil Seymour - Phil Seymour
Riddles - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts - Sinner
Spinning Ceiling - Mark Sultan - Sultanic Verses
Unworthy of Your Love - Stephen Sondheim - Assassins
Shuffle your Feet - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl
The Prisoner - D.O.A. - Bloodied But Unbowed
Damaged I - Black Flag - The First Four Years
River, Stay 'Way From My Door - Frank Sinatra - All The Way

And then my day at work began.

You can find many of these tracks on Itunes. Check out this Imix.
Link
So I have a little to say about almost every song. "Jordan's 1st Choice" from Against Me! is pretty emotional. The singing claws down deep in your gut and rips you inside out. Fantastic.

"Here Comes The Sun" is a sped up ska punk version of The Beatles song. I saw this guys many a year ago when this record came out. Must have been in '93 or '94 I think. Bought this CD at the show. They opened for The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Great show.

"Wilkommen" I believe I wrote about in an earlier post. Check it out.

"Deceptacon" is a pretty fun track, but this remix by The DFA is sooooo unbelievably great. It's a great dance track with the punk screeching attitude you'd expect from Le Tigre. Favorite lyric is "Linoleum floor. Linoleum floor. Your lyrics are dumb like a linoleum floor." You can find this remix on a CD on Amazon.

The review on Allmusic.com com says it all in it's review of this remix CD. "But unquestionably the highlight of this remix package is the bona fide juggernaut hurricane remix of "Deceptacon" by modern-day art punk heroes DFA."

"Am I Going Insane" Pretty good Sabbath song, but I'll save my Sabbath commentary for the upcoming track.

"Free Time" is just one of the many great track off of "Reggae Hit L.A.". I know I've said this before here, but this album is a must have. These guys are so talented. Some of the best reggae ever as far as I'm concerned. I'm no expert on the genre, but I know the major players and records and this is at the top of the list in my book.

"Sister Morphine" is one of those not so popular Stones tracks that you find buried on their records that is great. Simple song with lots of raw emotion. Check it out.

"Pint After Pint" is from a CD I picked up at a local show. It is pretty much demos and what not. Don't think it has ever been officially released by any label. Charlie is a great song writer and puts on a great show. I wrote a little about him in my Supersuckers post, where he was one of the opening acts. He played under the moniker Charlie and the Valentine Killers. If you ever have a chance to catch him, do so. This song features some violin and when I saw him he had a fiddle player in the show. Sounded great.

"Wasp/N.I.B." is one of the all time great Sabbath songs or pair of songs. The two songs are connected on the album and clock in at over 9 minutes. Actually I think if there were a fight between the two songs N.I.B. would win out. Iomni's riff on that song is so iconic. Pure Sabbath.

"Midnight Rambler" great Stones song.

Okay now this is getting tedious I know. Commenting on every song. You're going to be reading forever. It is hard, though not to with this list. But I'll jump ahead and point out some must listen to's and notables.

"Glory Box" by Portishead is one of the quintessential Trip Hop songs of all time. Dummy has to be one of my favorite records of the 1990's. It paints a beautiful dreamy landscape.


If you haven't heard of seen Joss Whedon's "Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog" go check it out on itunes. Joss is a genius and this musical is genius. Neil Patrick Harris does a fantastic job and all the songs are clever and fun. And not to give away the ending, but it is a gut wrencher. Very daring Joss. Well done.

This track has a very cool E.L.O. thing happening with the backing vocals. You'll know what I mean when you hear it. It's that electronic processing to the voice that E.L.O. did back in the day.


Have to talk about "Freebird" if only to mention that this song is now forever connected to "Forrest Gump" in my mind now. The song was used to perfection in that film when Jenny was all coked out and she climbs on the balcony railing. Also I just want to say that the whole end of the song which is featured in that part of the film is so great. It build and builds and then releases and then before you know it the swirling and frenzied guitar builds again to another amazing climax. Listen to the second half of that song with the volume at 11 or with head phones adn close your eyes. It is guitar rock and more specifically Southern Rock at its greatest. You can find this on Skynyrd's debut record "Pronounced 'Leh-Nerd Skin Nerd'" from 1973.

"Sidekick" is funny because for some reason I had this song in my head as I was doing things around the house this morning and I was literally humming the song just moments before the song came up on the ole Ipod. I just about flipped when it came up because of the weird coincidence.

And yes that is a track from the new Journey record. The new singer isn't half bad and I kind of like this track.

I mentioned Joan Jett yesterday and then today a track from Sinner came up. This is a good example of the what you can find on the new record. Lyrics that are about something. They make a statement while still being very catchy.

The Black Rebel Motorcycle Club track is from their Howl record a record that I kind of initially dismissed because it was so different than their previous work, but this past year I have fallen in love with this record.

The list starts winding down with two classic hard core punk songs. Both are classics from D.O.A. and Black Flag. "Bloodied But Unbowed" was featured here this last Spring. Check out that entry for more info.

And then we finish with Sinatra. This album "All The Way" is one I grew up on. Our family had this on an 8-track that lived in my father's car. We played that thing over and over and over. I know every lyric to every song on that record and it is one of my favorite Sinatra records of all time. You have to get it if not for "High Hopes".

Sp that was a lot. I think I may take a day or two off and just let people absorb these last two lists.

No comments: