Monday, November 17, 2008

I know your eyes in the morning sun

This morning was a big music morning. The ipod started long before the daily walk and to the playlist is extra long today. I am however writing this at the end of the day, which means I've been able to put a little more time and effort into this post. Hope you enjoy it. So here goes.

Ain't Been To No Music School - The Nosebleeds
April 29, 1992 (Miami) - Sublime
Groove Is In The Heart (Jellyjam Beats) - Deee-Lite
Blind Nuns - Wasted Youth
Mirage - Siouxsie and the Banshees
You Cross My Path - The Charlatans
Gotham City - Out Of Order
Bron-Yr-Aur - Led Zeppelin
Dancing With Myself - Billy Idol
Fire - Jimi Hendrix
Los Angeles - X
I've Never Been In Love Before - Chet Baker
AC/DC - Sweet
Mary's Little Boy Child - John D. Loudermilk
This Twilight Garden - The Cure
99 Luftballons - Nena
Little Ghost - The White Stripes
This Could Be All - Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly
In The Breeze - Jack McManus
Sent For You Yesterday And Here You Come Today - Count Basie
Chain Of Fools - Aretha Franklin
I'm Eighteen - Alice Cooper
How Deep Is Your Love - The Bird & The Bee
Susanne - Weezer
Django - Modern Jazz Quartet
Master Of Puppets - Metallica
Let's Dance - David Bowie
It Takes Two - Zac Efron
Virginia Waits - Ennio Morricone
Our House - Madness
The first track I'd like to talk about it "Gotham City" by Out of Order. Out of Order was a band from Chicago. This track comes from their "Paradise Lost" LP which I had as a kid. The sad part of this story is that that record is part of a handful of records that disappeared from my room when I went away to college. The who
le album is great. It is out of print, but you can basically get the sum total of the record on their "Survival Of The Fittest" compilation. The song is great because it is basically the theme from the old Batman TV show, done punk rock style and then some simple lyrics thrown over it. For anyone looking for a little nostalgia, check out this old Puszone article in which pushead reviews this record and mentions "Gotham City"

If you don't know who Pushead is or was, he was an artist who also wrote articles for Thrasher magazine. He also had a music label and band Septic Death. If you don't recognize his name you make certainly recognize his artwork, because he has done lots of art for Metallica and some other big bands. Back when I was a kid he was mostly doing w
ork for underground band, Thrasher magazine and Zorlac skateboards. Check out everything Pushead at this website.

Wow that was a big detour.
The next track to point out is "AC/DC" by Sweet. This is a pretty fun song, but I must say the version Joan Jett did on her album Sinner last year makes the original seem tame. And now that I've worked Joan Jett into the conversation, I have to say that her record last year was one of my favorites. It is great from start to finish. Kathleen Hanna from Bikini Kill and Le Tigre fame contributes song writing duties on about half the tracks. It is one of her strongest records to date.

And to wrap this up I want to point people to another great cover that is on this playlist. The Bird and The Bee's version of the Bee Gees' "How Deep Is Your Love" rivals the original and may be one of the most beautiful songs from this past year.
Inara George's voice sounds like gentle morning sunbeams. Makes the opening line "I know your eyes in the morning sun" make you feel warm and fuzzy all over.

I first heard this song on "Morning Becomes Eclectic" a fantastic public radio show here in LA. You can find it on the internet and check it out. I think it may also be available on Itunes as a podcast.

The moment I heard it I knew I had to get this song. I did some research and learned about The Bird And The Bee. The song is on the "Please Clap Your Hands" EP. I found the CD when I was in New York for work. I actually was at the Virgin Megastore in Times Square and I bought it there. The song became an instant favorite in my family. My daughter has it on her ipod shuffle and knows all the words. Find it on Itunes and buy it. It is well worth the 99 cents. If you come across the whole EP, pick that up. All five songs are good.

As part of a new experiment I took this play list and made an Imix with Itunes which I submitted to the Itunes store. Not every song showed up on the list, but quite a few of them did. If you want to buy some of these songs just click on this link to find the songs on itunes. Let me know if this is helpful to anybody.

No comments: