Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Huey Lewis And The News - The Heart Of Rock & Roll 7" - 1984

This last year Huey Lewis was interviewed on the "Stuck In The 80's" podcast which I highly recommend. It was recently featured on "Penn And Teller's Bull***t". The Huey Lewis interview is a pretty funny episode because Huey gets a little snippy with one of the hosts. I don't want to say anymore. Just give it a listen. Listening to that episode reminded me how many great little tunes Huey and the boys put out in the 80's. I dug up some of the records I owned and since then I've added them to the ole ipod so I get a fresh injection of Huey every once in a while. One of the things Huey points out in that interview is that they tried to write timeless music. I had never thought of it that way, but if you listen to his singles you'll notice that they aren't filled with the in fashion synths of the time. Instead they are straight ahead pop/rock songs dealing with "timeless" themes. So the songs still work out great. A song like "The Heart Of Rock And Roll" works in any time and when doesn't "Workin' For A Livin'" not connect with people. Kudos to Huey Lewis And The News for succeeding at what they set out to do.

By the way this live version of "Workin' For A Livin'" is the real reason to listen to this one. It really cooks.

Enjoy!

01 The Heart Of Rock & Roll.m4a
02 Workin' For A Livin' (Live).m4a

No comments: