Wednesday, February 13, 2008

R.E.M. - Radio Song 7" - 1991

R.E.M. really hit their peak back in the late 80's and early 90's as far as popularity. Green came out when i was in high school and that record was just huge. I knew of them before that, but had never really gotten into them. I was too busy with other music, but by the time that album came out I was drifting back into radio friendly music and couldn't help but like that record. But R.E.M. got a whole new level of respect from me when they released their "Out Of Time" Record. Why? Because they had songs with Kate Pierson from the B-52's who I thought were the coolest and KRS-One who I also considered to be great. With "Radio Song" The KRS-One thing was really cool because it was one of the early crossovers of hip-hop and indie music. I'm discounting "Walk This Way" as being a crossover. That was basically just reinventing a classic rock song. I don't want to credit R.E.M. with being the first band to do this, because that trail was blazed the year before by Sonic Youth when they had Chuck D on their "Kool Thing" track. At the time those two MC's where at the tip top o my list of favorites. So have a listen and hear a little bit of history in the making, when indie rock and hip-hop began to merge.
The real reason I'm posting this single, though, is for the B-Side. I love this live version of the Troggs' "Love Is All Around". This was recorded on the radio show "Rockline" and is just great. It's simple and sweet. So maybe this will be a nice treat for you because you may not have heard this. The soundtrack to "I Shot Andy Warhol" has this track listed on it, but I have no idea if that is this version or a studio version. If anyone has any insight please chime in. I listened to the sample on Amazon.com but couldn't tell. The quality was too poor.
So whatever the case may be I have this one for you.
Enjoy!

01 Radio Song.mp3
02 Love Is All Around.mp3

No comments: