Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Rolling Stones - Get Off Of My Cloud/I'm Free 7"

Nothing new here for anyone unless you are from another planet. I figure that isn't a reason not to share and write about this record. Both sides of this record are absolute classics. "Get Off Of My Cloud" is rock and roll in a bottle.

I like the commentary on consumerism in the song a theme also touched on in another Stones song "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" Where Mick sings,

"When I'm watchin' my TV
and a man comes on to tell me
how white my shirts can be.
Well he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke
the same cigarrettes as me."

That is one of my favorite lyrics of all time.

Here he sings,

"I live in an apartment on the ninety-ninth floor of my block
And I sit at home looking out the window
Imagining the world has stopped
Then in flies a guy who's all dressed up like a Union Jack
And says, I've won five pounds if I have his kind of detergent pack"

Another jab at laundry soap. Funny.

Side two is also a great anthem of rebellious freedom. Make you feel young and alive even when you're old and not so alive.

Enjoy!

01 Get Off Of My Cloud.m4a
02 I'm Free.m4a

No comments: