Friday, September 26, 2008

The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight/Tina 7" - 1962

I'm still so upset about losing that Shirley Bassey post a few days back. I fear losing everything I've done with no warning. So because of this fear I now have to spend time going through each of the posts from this past year and backing them up on my computer. I don't care about losing the photos or the music links. Whatever. I care about what I've written which certainly doesn't infringe upon anyone. Sorry I just had to get that off of my chest.

Today's tracks are from the golden oldies chest box. "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" is one of those songs I loved as a kid. Now it always brings to mind that scene in "Lion King". "Tina" was new to me when I bought the record, but it is great. I'm trying to place the sound, but it also has a faux islandy exotic sound to it with a bit of surf thrown in perhaps. Give it a listen and let me know what you think.

Enjoy!

01 The Lion Sleeps Tonight.m4a
02 Tina.m4a

2 comments:

Matracas said...

Ja, I just heard this song this very morning as I started my car to take the kids to school. The radio station I listen to plays a "Golden Classic" every hour on the hour and this song came on at 7 am this morning. What a coincidence.

BTW, I love this song but I specially like the version recorded by Tight Fit back in 1981.

PS Sorry about you post deletion; It's incredible that an artist very unpopular to the majority of us would have this kind of reaction. However, this shows you just how popular your blog has become.

Spencer said...

Unfortunately I don't think the blog is that popular. I still can't believe that someone complained. I can't even believe it was anyone even connected to Shirley Bassey. I can't believe anyone connected to her is thinking they were going to be making much money off of a couple obscure songs from her from 1979. I have no proof, but I have a feeling it is going to turn out that it was just someone trying to cause problems.

That is a funny coincidence that you hear this song this morning.