Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Cyndi Lauper - The Goonies R Good Enough 7"

I wanted to post this one mostly because of the goofy cover. I actually had this record without the cover and then came across another copy with the sleeve and I bought it again just for the sleeve. In the back of my mind I knew that one day I'd get this whole blog thing going and that I would love to share this one with the world.

I mean seriously, what they hell is going on there. Cyndi is screaming at a corpse. I know it is one of the dead pirates from "The Goonies", but still it makes for one great image.

The song is pretty good too. It wreaks of 80's synth pop. Actually if Cyndi's voice didn't kick in you might think this was just some generic 80's soundtrack music. But Cyndi does kick in giving the song some distinction. You may not remember the song of the top of your head, because it wasn't exactly a huge radio hit, but I think after a listen you'll be humming the chorus.

Mostly the song brings up good memories of the movie, which is just great. I've watched this movie a couple times in recent years as part of my kids education of 80's cinema. They loved the movie too, of course.

The B-Side "What A Thrill" is kind of a punky raver of a number. It kind of reminds me something by T-Rex. That initial guitar hook really reminds me of a specific song, but for the life of me I can't bring it to mind. I think it might be "Solid Gold Easy Action", but I'm not sure. Maybe someone out there can chime in with their thoughts. Anyways, I think you'll find the song a refreshing alternative side to ole Cyndi.

Enjoy!

01 The Goonies R Good Enough.mp3
02 What A Thrill.mp3

No comments: