Monday, March 3, 2008

R.E.M. - The One I Love 7"

Here is another entry from R.E.M. It's not exactly hard to find "The One I Love", but maybe this live version of "Maps & Legends" might be a little harder to find. It might be the same version that is on the "Live Singles Box", which I'm not sure if it is even still in print. It is also available on the "Fables of The Reconstruction" import with bonus tracks. But if you haven't had the chance to seek out those obscure releases then this is for you.

I love this period of R.E.M. They were still dark and broody. I also like their later work and to be honest I came to the R.E.M. thing later with the release of Green. But in college I went back to discover their earlier albums. "The One I Love" is off "Document" (1987). I think that was the second R.E.M. record I bought after "Life's Rich Pageant" (1986) also a great record from that same basic time period.

And lastly I just have to say that the opening guitar riff on "The One I Love" is simply classic. I love how it hits you hard in the gut right off the bat and then the song kind of mellows down to let you breath. Let's you take in the lyrics and then it hits you hard again for the chorus, just when you thought it was safe. This is what great rock and roll does.

Enjoy!

01 The One I Love.mp3
02 Maps & Legends (live).mp3

No comments: