Sunday, March 9, 2008

Stevie Wonder - Boogie On Reggae Woman 7"

Stevie Wonder and Reggae together? Sign me up right? That's what you should be thinking when you see a title like "Boogie on Reggae Woman" on a Stevie Wonder 45. The reality is that it's more boogie than reggae, but that's okay. There is a reggae beat underneath the song, but it is not the feature of the song. In fact the reggaeness is so buried that Stevie barely pronounced the word reggae. If I didn't know the title of the song I would think he was singing "ray woman". The song however has plenty of funkiness and good vibes to make you smile. It also has a piano hook that sounds a lot like the Isley Brothers "It's Your Thing" from 1969. I guess if your going to steal, steal from the best right. Something hip hop perfected in the next decade.

The song also feature some nice harmonica by Stevie I'm assuming. There also a great fuzzy electric organ running through the song giving it some great texture. I'm guessing that is what the instrument is. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. You'll know what I mean when you hear it.

"Seems So Long" is a slow crawl of a number. It wonders around like it has no where to go. Seems appropriate with a title like "Seems So Long". The band paints a slow jazz canvass for which Stevie can lay his vocals to. You won't be humming this song or dancing to it, but it is interesting and worth a listen. Like I said the orchestration of the band is the most captivating part of the song.

Enjoy!

01 Boogie On Reggae Woman.mp3
02 Seems So Long.mp3

No comments: