Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Holly Golightly - On The Fire/My Love 7"





I know I will probably say this about every Holly Golightly record I post, but this is my favorite one. I'll try not to say that on anything I post in the future to keep the integrity of this statement here, but I can't make any promises.

If you are new to the greatness that is Holly Golightly this record is a great introduction. It captures the sort of retroness of her work, but also shows how beautiful and relevant her work is today.

"On the Fire" may even be my favorite Holly Golightly song of all time. I've put it on many a mix CD for friends. I love the lines "Your love is a lie and you love a liar." Crushingly great. The guitar on this song is also great. Simple, but perfect.

"My Love" is an old Willie Dixon song and she does the song right. It's a really sort of honky tonk swinger. You feel like you're in a piano bar and she's just banging this one out.

Now this is a relatively recent release. I don' t know if this 7" is in print of not, but I'm sure it isn't too hard to find. Holly has a pretty big following. At the very least you should search out her albums. "On The Fire" happens to be from her 2004 release "Slowly But Surely". Go get it now. I also recommend "Singles Roundup" and "My First Holly Golightly Album" and "Truly She Is None Other". If you can't afford the whole albums are have trouble finding them at the very least seek out the song "My Love Is" from "My First Holly Golightly Album". It ranks up there with "On The Fire" as one of my favorite Holly Golightly songs. In fact now that I'm thinking about it they are a tie for first.

For more on Holly read here.

Enjoy!

01 On The Fire.m4a
02 My Love.m4a

No comments: