Thursday, April 24, 2008

Yvonne Gage - Doin' It In A Haunted House - 1984

I've been contemplating holding off on posting this record until Halloween, but decided against it. I may repost it then, but we'll see.

I bought this record because actually written on the record in pen someone wrote "Thriller ripoff". That was enough to spark my interest. I'm happy to report that that description was 100% on the money. In fact I've never heard such a blatant ripoff.

From what I've gathered this record came out about 6 months after the Michael Jackson classic. It takes the same basic musical riffs and then changes them ever so slightly, and then adds a nasty element to the lyrics making this the perfect club record.

The song of course isn't as good as the original, but it has it's own charm. Part of that charm may come from a sort of desperate vibe I get while listening to it. You can't help but think, "really? You couldn't come up with anything original? You had to steal Thriller?"

Give it a listen. Save if for your next Halloween party. Throw your guests for a loop.

Enjoy!

01 Doin' It In A Haunted House.mp3
02 Doin' It In A Haunted House (Instrumental).mp3

No comments: