Saturday, July 26, 2008

Haircut 100 - Pelican West - 1982

I love this record. I can't say it enough. I am a recent convert to this record. Similar to my story with Icicle Works, I never thought much of these guys back in the 80's. I knew the hit songs, but never listened to any album cuts. They I picked up this record and listened to it from start to finish and couldn't believe how great it is.

I think back in the day I was tripped up by the name of the band. The mere fact that it had "haircut" in the name I associated them with all the other new wave MTV groups like A Flock Of Seagulls that were too wimpy for a young boy like myself. Luckily I grew up and learned to broaden my horizons.

I'm sure if you know anything about this band, you'll know the opening track "Love Plus One", which is a fine track, but certainly not the reason I'm raving here. Skip right ahead to the second track "Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets Girl)". This song cooks. Listen to the bass line and the great horn section. This song kicks in and brings up memories of early Duran Duran or Japan. Simply great.

As you go further into the record you'll find that it is layered thick with funk and jazz flavors. It is dense and goes fare beyond the simple pop of "Love Plus One". Track 3 "Lemon Firebrigade" in an instrumental with funk and some great rhythms. I don't know whether to classify them as Latin or Caribbean. Someone wiser than me can probably identify the influences here more clearly. All I know if that coming through my headset the song makes me want to dance.

There are two versions of this release, a UK release and an American release. This is the American release which changed the track order to put the singles up front. I don't mind. It makes the album start out really strong. The rest of the album may not have the tracks that may be considered singles, but they are still a great listen.

So if you are a fan of New Wave, this record is a must. My vinyl rip is okay, but if you can find this one on CD or have the money to download it it will be well worth the money.

Enjoy!

01 Love Plus One.m4a
02 Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets Girl).m4a
03 Lemon Firebrigade.m4a
04 Marine Boy.m4a
05 Milk Farm.m4a
06 Kingsize (You're My Little Steam Whistle).m4a
07 Fantastic Day.m4a
08 Baked Bean.m4a
09 Snow Girl.m4a
10 Love's Got Me In Triangles.m4a
11 Surprise Me Again.m4a
12 Calling Captain Autumn.m4a

Haircut 100 - Pelican West - Side 1.zip
Haircut 100 - Pelican West - Side 2.zip

No comments: