Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Oscar Brand - Bawdy Songs and Backroom Ballads Vol. 4 - 1951

Every once in a while, when sifting through bins of used records at thrift shops you come across old records that catered to adults back in the day. I've picked up a few here and there. I've got a couple Rusty Warren records that crack me up. Not because they are actually very funny even though they are supposed to be comedy records, but because they were considered risque at the time. They seem so tame by today's standards. Her use of the word Knockers over and over again isn't offensive anymore and now just seems silly.

Anyways, when I saw this record I figured I get some of the same. Songs that had once shocked, but now only illicit a little giggle at their innocence. What I have to report is that it starts of that way indeed, but as you get into the record, the songs do get kind of graphic and I think will still make your ears do a double take. Oscar Brand's bawdy folk songs at least to me still today seem racy for their subject matter. I don't want to go into all the detail, but I'll just say that there are a few songs on hear that I don't think I need to listen to a second time. Still some of them are still funny and have that aura of just being slightly naughty. What makes those songs so appealing is the sort of absurdity of a grown man singing them. They really sound like the songs boys would make up on the school yard in grade school. That should give you an idea of the sort of high brow humor involved here.

Enjoy!

01 Cindy.m4a
02 Tom Bolynn.m4a
03 Plymouth Town.m4a
04 Two Maidens.m4a
05 Basket Of Oysters.m4a
06 Green Grow The Rashes.m4a
07 The Cuckoo's Nest.m4a
08 Sweet Violets.m4a
09 The Money Rolls In.m4a
10 I Used To Work In Chicago.m4a
11 The Old Sea Chest.m4a
12 The Wayward Boy.m4a
13 Don't Call Me.m4a
14 Roll Me Over.m4a

Oscar Brand - Side 1.zip
Oscar Brand - Side 2.zip

No comments: