Monday, July 28, 2008

Slim Whitman - Rainbows Are Back In Style/How Could I Not Love You 7"

Listen to the opening few bars of “Rainbows Are Back In Style” and tell me it doesn’t sound like the beginning to the theme song for “Three’s Company”. It’s funny I never really made this connection before, but just a couple days ago I was listening to TV theme songs and that was one of them, so it is in my head. So when I kicked this on to listen to for the blog, I couldn’t help but make the comparison.

This is another record from my collection that I put into the incredibly happy genre. It seems like you don’t get songs this happy these days, at least not in such abundance. I mean really when was the last time you heard a new pop song singing about rainbows. I’m not saying there aren’t happy pop songs, but on the whole they are far and few between.

Slim Whitman in my mind was a country artists, but this song really isn’t very country. Like I said, it sounds more like “Three’s Company” which conjures up images of the Santa Monica peer and not Nashville.

“How Could I Not Not Love U” is the real prize here. What a beautiful song. The lyrics are great. The melody is pure romance and Slim’s voice is sublime. Again, not really a country song. It’s just a great pop song. It brings to mind classic’s like “(I Can’t Help) Falling In Love With You” and that is pretty strong praise in my book.

I can’t state this strongly enough. Just give the song one chance. Listen to the opening line. “How could I not love you, when you’re everything dear to me?” This line has everything I’m talking about. The amazing voice and delivery send electricity through my body they are so perfect. You hear that opening and you will be hooked for the whole 2 minutes 18 seconds. Ah, yes, it’s also short and to the point. No outstaying it’s welcome by any means.

Enjoy!

01 Rainbows Are Back In Style.mp3
02 How Could I Not Love U.mp3

No comments: