Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Bee Gees - Too Much Heaven/Rest Your Love On Me 7" - 1979

I am a Bee Gees kid. My parents took me to Saturday Night Fever in the theater. I think it was the PG version that was re-released a year or so after the initial release, but I do remember seeing that film in the theater when I was about 7 years old.

We were huge Travolta fans in our house. I saw "Grease" over 20 times in the theater as a kid. That was when your parents could drop you off at the movie theater and leave you there all day to watch a movie over and over without a problem. Ah those were the days.

I also say "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" in the theater as a kid, because just as we love Travolta we loved the Bee Gees.

Well, that love never went away. Even when I was in Highschool in the late 80's and Travolta and Disco were definitely not cool, I was proud to be a fan. My dad's car had a 8-track player and I had 8-tracks from Saturday Night Fever that I would play for friends. It was kind of my thing. Believe me it set me a part from my friends because mostly we were listening to punk and rap music like most other skaters of the time.

So needless to say, that is the back story of why I'm posting this Bee Gees record. "Too Much Heaven" is a pretty classic example of why the Bee Gees were great. They did so much more than just the disco songs. If you ever have the chance to check out their early work long before "Saturday Night Fever" I highly suggest it. They were great song writers. Neither of these songs are disco songs. "Too Much Love" is just a great pop/love song. It has the great Bee Gees Harmonies. It reminds me of "How Deep Is Your Love" from "Saturday Night Fever" which is probably my favorite Bee Gees song of all time.

This single it should be noted was released as a charity single to Promote a UNICEF concert. All proceeds were donated to the Children's fund. It was probably a lot of money because the song went to number 1 on the charts.

"Rest Your Love On Me" may surprise some of you because it starts off with a twangy country guitar. That's right it is basically a country song. Of course it's not as country as say, Dolly Parton, but when you listen to you you'll have to admit that it what it is. It even has a line about a train. Nothing says country more than having a train in your song.

So get ready for some soft hits and listen to these couple songs.

Enjoy!

01 Too Much Heaven.m4a
02 Rest You Love On Me.m4a

1 comment:

Spencer said...

It is "Too Much Heaven". I caught that too after I uploaded it, but was too lazy to go back and change it.

Nice catch.