Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Martha Reeves And the Vandellas - Bless You/Hope I Don't Get My Heart Broke 7" - 1971

Again a preemptive apology that this isn't the cleanest record. But you shouldn't complain. You want a clean version of these songs, go buy them.
Enjoy!

The first thing I have to say about "Bless You" is that it starts off sounding a lot like "I Want You Back" by Jackson 5. I therefore was not surprised to read that the song was written by The Corporation, who also wrote and produced much or the Jackson 5 material at this same time. Specifically the wrote "I Want You Back". For more on who The Corporation was read here.

This record was released when Martha Reeves and The Vandellas were one the down slide. Martha was struggling with drug addiction which had become public. She had been institutionalized also, which tells you a little about the state of affairs for the group at the time. The song was a minor hit for the group.

I like the song. It may not be vintage Martha Reeves, but if you like other hits by The Corporation, especially the Jackson 5, I think you'll like this one.

"How I Don't Get My Heart Broke" is a much more soulful song. There's a little funk in the bassline, and just a little more ooomph from the gut. It seems a little rougher around the edges. A little earthier and bluesier. It seems a little more defiant. I little darker. I love it. It definitely is not what I expected when I bought the record.

01 Bless You.mp3
02 Hope I Don't Get My Hear.mp3

No comments: