Monday, May 12, 2008

Dr. Hook - You Make My Pants Want to Get Up And Dance/Sharing The Night Together 7"

I'm a sucker for an interesting song title. Ones with stupidly long names are especially intriguing and irresistible to me. Such is the case with "You Make My Pants Want To Get Up And Dance". Add to that the title just sounds funny and maybe even slightly naughty and I had to buy this record.

The song is full of 70's good vibe. It's got a nice hook and you'll be humming this one all day if you let it into your head.

The single was from the 1978 album "Pleasure Pain". I think that is past the Dr. Hook Heyday. I can hear a little disco creeping into the song. I even smell a little KC and the Sunshine Band influence here. That could just be me, though.

Many of the hits for Dr. Hook and the Medicine show were written by Shel Silverstein. I loved Shel as a kid. It wasn't until I was an adult that I discovered he wrote music and even wrote the famous "The Cover Of The Rolling Stone" song. Anyways, this song is actually not by Shel. It is credited to a guy named Sam Weedman. Is that a real name or was that some sort of 7o's inside drug reference joke. I have no idea, but I am suspicious. Apparently there really is a Sam Weedman. He owns a recording studio in Nashville or at least did recently according to what I gather from this web entry. I find that he wrote a few songs for Dr Hook.

"Sharing The Night Together" is no big deal. 70's smooth rock. If that is your thing you might like it. It's not my favorite genre by a long shot. So I can take this song or leave it.

Enjoy!

01 You Make My Pants Want to Get Up And Dance.m4a
02 Sharing The Night Together.m4a

No comments: