Friday, May 16, 2008

Keely Smith - Can't Help Falling In Love/You'll Never Walk Alone 7" - 1961

Keely Smith doing the classic Elvis song "Can't Help Falling In Love With You". Who knew. I certainly didn't. I pretty much only know Keely for her collaborations with Louis Prima. Those songs were usually fun little numbers.

This however is a more straight ahead love song. I think she does an okay job. She's no Elvis, but she services the song well. I haven't been able to figure out when this song was recorded or where else you can find it. It's not even listed on Allmusic.com as a song she recorded. My guess is that it was in 1961 shortly after Elvis made it a huge hit. By the way, even Wikipedia doesn't have Keely Smith listed as a performer of this song. Talk about being forgotten. You should however check out the link for more on the song. The song is actually based an a French song and then was adapted for Elvis to the movie "Blue Hawaii". Interesting.

"You'll Never Walk Alone" is a little easier for me to listen to objectively. I don't really have something as iconic as Elvis's voice running through my head on every phrase. The song is a big almost epic kind or inspirational song and Keely really gets to belt out some serious notes on this one. If you're a fan of that Rodgers and Hammerstein song I think you'll like her rendition. The song can be found on her 1961 release "Dearly Beloved". I can't help but notice that this is the same year she and Louis Prima got divorced. Ironic, ain't it?

Enjoy!

01 Can't Help Falling In Love With You.m4a
02 You'll Never Walk Alone.m4a

4 comments:

Chale said...

A friend of mine has been looking for this song for ages, would you please upload it again?

Anonymous said...

Can you reup please?

Spencer said...

Hit me up on e-mail and I can send you the songs. I don't have them online anymore. spencer.filichia@gmail.com

Dave G said...

I would also like a copy. I sent an email