Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Royal Guardsmen - Snoopy Vs The Red Baron 7" - 1966

This is easily one of my favorite records in my entire collection. When I picked this up I was like a kid on Christmas, giddy with excitement. I could hardly wait to get home and spin it.

After buying it "Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron" quickly made its way onto a mix tape that was played constantly in my car. Then when I got into ripping vinyl to my computer it made its way onto a mix CD. And then when I got an Ipod of course this one was an essential song.

As a kid I had a Snoopy album that had this song on it. I loved that record. My wife had the same experience and so we've passed that love down to our kids. The song itself is pure pop bliss. It's catchy, the lyrics are funny and very memorable. The song is less that 3 minutes and so when it is over, you are ready to listen to it again.

Today when I'm really into the whole garage band sound, I really appreciate this song, because to me it has a lot of that flavor to it. The song when it was released was wildly successful. It peaked at number 2 on the charts. It may not be number 1, but that is pretty amazing fo a song about a dog flying a plane, shooting down Germans. This was of course when Snoopy was at the peak of poularity. For more on the Royal Guardsmen here is a link to a pretty informative site.

The "B-Side" isn't Snoopy themed at all. It is just a nice garage ballad and I like it quite a bit. If you've never hears any of the Guardsmen's non Snoopy songs, I think this one will surprise you. These guys were good.

Enjoy!

01 Snoopy Vs The Red Baron.m4a
02 I Needed You.m4a

1 comment:

Marcia Marsh said...

I'm so glad you like this song! My father, Charles Fuller, produced this song in his studios in Tampa, FL. Dad passed away in 2006, but he would have been so pleased to know that this song and Snoopy's Christmas were still giving people such pleasure. His voice is on both Snoopy vs. the Red Baron and Snoopy's Christmas, so I am able to hear him again whenever I miss him too much. God bless you and your family.